Saturday, May 2, 2009

Will keeps us in stitches

Will cut his thumb today while (unbeknownst to me) using a "condiment spreader" to cut boxes from our move. He's such a big help around the house and thought he was making life easier for us. I was upstairs with Olivia and his ear-piercing scream sent me flying down the stairs a few at a time. There was blood EVERYWHERE. I took him to the bathroom sink to rinse his hand and try to find out where the blood was coming from and then I wrapped his thumb in paper towels to stop the bleeding while I tried to reach Phil. Will, who is not-so-tough when he gets really hurt and tends to have a flair for the dramatic (huh- wonder who he gets that from?) sat wailing on the floor:

"I've just KILLED myself! I'm broken!"

Later that night at the ER, while the doctor was giving him 2 stitches, Will yelled at the top of his lungs:

"GET ME OUT OF HERE!" Over and over.

He's such a grown up little 4 year old.

Oh - and he calls his stitches "Spikies"

Update 1: At first Will was terrified of his "spikies" or stitches. He wanted them under contanstant band-aid cover and would freak out when the band-aid invariably came off. After several days of this I said, "Will. You do not need to be scared of your stitches. They are your friends. They are helping your thumb to heal and keeping it from bleeding. I think you need to tell them Thank you."
"They are my friends?"
"Yes."
"And they are keeping my finger from bleeding?"
"Yes."
"Thank you Spikies for making my finger better."

That was the last time he was scared of his stitches - but he did thank them several more times before getting them taken out.

Update 2: Will ended up developing "cellulitis" a bacterial infection of the skin - but after a round of antibiotics is doing great. He got his stitches out (with only a tiny bit of fussing) and is now proud to show off his healed thumb.