Wednesday, February 15, 2012

{Kindergarten Perseverance}

Recently, I was cleaning the kitchen and enlisted the help of Will & Olivia to put things that didn't belong away. Olivia had left her "100 days" hat on the kitchen table for several days, and since I had already taken pictures of her wearing it, I asked her to throw it away. It's a pretty obnoxious hat with 10 "tentacles", each representing one of the 10's (10, 20, 30, etc.) coming up and out from the band that goes around her head. At the end of each tentacle is a star and on each tentacle they put 10 stickers. It's a silly and fun hat, but not an easy to store hat, which is why I had taken a picture of it in the first place.

"What?! Why do I have to throw it away? But I worked so hard on this at school!"

"Because Olivia, we don't live in a house big enough to keep every single thing you guys do at school. We have already taken a picture of you wearing it and that's going to have to be good enough."

"Look, Mom. Before I made this hat, I didn't even know how to count to 100 by 10's...10..20..30...40...50...60...70...80...90..100...but I persevered!!!"

After I picked my jaw off the floor for her {correct} usage of the word "persevered", I told her we could keep the hat.